The town of Bajram Curri is the center of Tropoja Region which lies in Tropoja pond, in the foot of Bisheva and Ponari Mountains. It was built in Kolgecaj village, as the center of Tropoja sub prefecture. In 1922 was opened in Kolgecaj the first Albanian school for Tropoja Region and near it "Kosovo" dormitory, the first one in Kukes District. The city got its present name in 1952.
Tropoja is historically known as part of Gjakova Highland. Population is derived from the Dardans prominent tribe, while the initiation of life in these lands belong to the period of early iron.
Rosu has been the most recognized center on the border between Labeates and Dardann dating 400 years BC. During the Ottoman Empire, Tropoja was part of Kosovo Vilayet.
The borders of 1912 that tore apart most of Kosovo from Albania, left Tropoja in isolation and made the life harder for its residents.
From the liberation of Albania until World War II, Tropoja along with all other settlements of Kukes and Has that remained inside the Albanian border was part of the Kosovo Prefecture, which was one of the 10 administrative areas of the Independent Albania.
28 154 inhabitants live in Tropoja today, distributed in 1 municipality, 7 communes and 54 villages. About 20 639 inhabitants live in villages, while around 8300 inhabitants live in the city. The average density is 27 inhabitants per km, 74% of the population is considered to be a rural one. The city was named after the national hero Bajram Curri. With the liberation of Kosovo in 1999 begins a new phase of life for Tropoja residents which can now use schools or hospitals in Kosovo.